Friday 14 September 2012

Planner, or Pantser?

The little switch clicked and the cogwheels inside my brain began to move. Slowly at first, but nevertheless they started to turn and I came up with the idea for a story.

So what do I do first? Am I a planner, or a pantser? I'm very much a planner, although sometimes I wish I was a pantser.

I still use the basics I was taught at school. I firstly jot down a rough outline. Starting with the opening: I decide on my protagonist's world. Is he/she human, or paranormal? I choose his/her name.

Next, I decide what's the meat on the bones of the story: What happens to the MC, that forces he/she to step out of their comfort zone? Where does he/she go and what course of action do they need to take? What happens along the way?

Okay, I've made very rough notes on the beginning and the middle of the story. Now the end: Do I surprise the reader? Is the ending sad, or heart warming? Does the protagonist reach his/her goal?

These notes fit into one or two pages of a reporters notebook. I then take these notes and plot my story out. Bit by bit, chapter by chapter.

This is how I create my story. How do you? Are you a planner, or a pantser?




No comments:

Post a Comment