Friday 20 July 2018

The Fairy Woman


    I haven't posted a classical poem for a while. But, I love fairies and I found this poem by 19th- century English, novelist and poet Jean Ingelow.


The Fairy Woman

The fairy woman maketh moan
Well-a-day, and well-a-day
Forsooth I brought you one rose, one 
And though didst cast my rose away
Hark! Oh hark, she mourneth yet 
One good ship ... the good ship sailed
One bright star, at last it set
One, one chance, forsooth it failed


Clear thy dusk hair from thy veiled eyes
Show thy face as thee beseems
For yet is starlight in the skies
Weird woman piteous through my dreams
'Nay, she mourns, 'forsooth not now
Veiled I sit for evermore
Rose is shed and charm? prow
Shall not touch the charm? shore


There thy sons that were to be
Thy small gamesome children play
There all loves that men forsee
Straight as wands enrich the way
Dove-eyed, fair, with me they worm
Where enthroned I reign a queen
In the lovely realms  foregone
In lives that might have been


                                                          Jean Ingelow   1820-1897




No comments:

Post a Comment