Friday 21 July 2023

Giant Leap for Mankind

      

   

 

       OMG, where do the years go? Fifty-four years ago, Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I can remember watching, Neil Armstrong taking one step for man and one giant leap for mankind. (Yes, I am that old, and remember a lady never discloses her age.)

 

   My mother and I watched the scratchy black-and-white transmission of this historical moment. Yes, I know that many believe that it never happened. However, this gal believes it did, and I wanted today to relive that short time I felt was special in my life. 

 

    Another historical event that happened on that date was that UK TV transmitted all night. This was also a momentous moment for the UK. 

 

   While I give some further thought to that day, I've included a poem by US poet, Emily Dickinson called, The Moon. Hoping you enjoy.

The moon was but a chin of gold

A night or two ago,

And now she turns her perfect face

Upon the world below.

 

Her forehead is of amplest blonde;

Her cheek like beryl stone;

Her eye unto the summer dew

The likest I have known. 

 

Her lips of amber never part;

But what must be the smile

Upon her friend she could bestow

Were such her silver will!


And what a privilege to be

But the remotest star!

For certainly her way might pass

Beside your twinkling door.


Her bonnet is the firmament,

The universe her shoe, 

The stars the trinkets at her belt,

Her dimities of blue.


 Emily Dickinson 1830-1886

No comments:

Post a Comment