Sunday 1 March 2015

Travel the World, Read a Book

    
Barcelona, Spain

    If I had been able to read from the day I was born there would still be books on my wish list, until the day I die. In my opinion there are so many fantastic books out there, there is  not enough time to read them all; unless I become a couch potato, that is.

    The opportunity though to read which ever book I want at any given time has always been there, because there have been libraries in the area I live in. As a child my mother took me to the local library every Saturday, whilst she browsed through the Mills & Boon titles, I checked out the shelves of the children's section.

    But there are areas in the UK where local councils believe that libraries are dispensable and as a way to save money the doors are closing, 10% are earmarked to close in the UK 2014-2015.

    I know the enjoyment reading over the years has given me, allowing me to escape into a fictional, or non-fictional world and I find it sad that not everyone sees it that way. Why is it that when money needs to be saved, the library is number one on the hit list? 


    Please on March 5th, World Book Day, let us keep reading and travel all the other worlds out there, fictional and real. www.worldbookday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment