Saturday 26 September 2015

From Cradle to Grave

Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
    This will be the last post featuring Scotland's ancient capital, Dunfermline and as you would expect from a capital of Scotland it has a palace and an abbey worthy of royalty.

Approach to the abbey and palace
 
    Dating back to the 11th century the abbey and palace has been home to our great Kings and Queens from cradle to grave.


    The nursery in the palace being the birthplace of Charles I; the abbey's nave a stately tomb to Queen Margaret, wife of King Malcolm III and their son David I.

Gatehouse and Refectory

    But, most famously King Robert Bruce minus his heart was also interred here.

Inside the nave

    Inside the nave I found the atmosphere fairly eerie, however it was a place that I wished that the walls could have come alive and tell me their story. A story like no other.

Stained Glass window inside the nave

No comments:

Post a Comment