Sunday 9 June 2024

Not Unusual !!

 

 

 


 

    Sir Tom Jones took part in the 80th anniversary Word War II D-Day celebrations held in Normandy, France, on June 6th. He performed an exceptionally moving rendition of, I Won't Crumble If You Fall, in memory of his grandfather who died in the First World War and was buried in France. His performance was an honour to all who have fallen for their country and those whom continue to fall.

    Last night one of the TV channels featured him in a series of entertainment shows honouring him on the occasion of his 84th birthday. The shows followed his career from his early years of becoming a celebrity performer until now.

    I saw him perform on stage many years ago, a memory I should treasure forever. I will explain my use of the word, should. I was the ripe old age of ten when my aunt and uncle treated me to this theatre trip, something that they did regularly. On this occasion, my time in the front stalls  only lasted for 10 minutes before they removed me rather rapidly. 

Now you’re all thinking because of my age, I had misbehaved, which kids do. However, it was some of our fellow audience members whose conduct was a little unexpected but not unusual when it came to Sir Tom performing in the past. To my aunt and uncle’s horror, some of the young women had thrown their underwear onto the stage. This behaviour they didn't think was appropriate for a child of my young years to experience and certainly not one under their care. 

    That night will stay in my mind forever, and will always bring a smile to my lips.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment