Tuesday 25 June 2024

The Best Days Ever

     

 



    I enjoy watching cookery programmes, and I have my favourite go-tos. The other day, I viewed an episode of a series of programmes that featured picnic food. It got me thinking back to when I was a kid and when my grandmother used to take me on a picnic regularly.

    The food we ate on the picnic was very different from the food suggestions on this programme. There was no quiche, sausage rolls, scotch eggs or Battenberg cake, washed down by iced lemon tea.

    Our feast usually consisted of jam or cheese sandwiches accompanied by a flask of tea. They were the best days ever.


 

    I’ve included a classic poem today, written by African-American Julius C. Wright. I hope you enjoy it.

 

 Going to the Picnic

 

There is a large crowd of folk

Hurrying down the road

They are going to have a picnic now 

And spread the news abroad


They're wearing beautiful bouquets

And carrying bright tin dippers

New straw hats are waving high

And patent leather slippers


Their hats are made of fine chiffon

And decorated too

There will be plenty of goodies

For your friends and for you


They will have a big barbecue

And a lot of other stuff

They are going to eat and drink

Till everybody puff 


They will have cakes and candy by the heaps

And ice cream pressed in cakes

Peanut parched fresh and hot

And a lot of fine milkshakes


They will have fish croquettes by the bushels

And coconut jumbles too

They are going to feed their friends and foes

And have enough for you


They are going to have a big dance

And have a Jolly time

They want to show their handsome looks

Because they look so fine

 

One barrel or two of lemonade

Mixed all through with ice

Lemons cut and thrown therein 

Gee! it’s awful nice 

 

Of all the fun and jollities

And all the places of rest

Just go to an old picnic ground 

They tell me that's the best

 


 


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment