Monday 3 June 2013

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

    In the last few weeks since the publication of my debut novel Salvation No Kissing Required lots of my friends and acquaintances have been congratulating me on finally realising my dream. But what has surprised me is that so many believe that publishing a book suddenly means that you have either come into a vast sum of money, or are about to. I wish.

    While some skirt around the subject, others ask, "What will you be buying with your advance?" When I explain there is no advance only royalties, I'm met with a look of bewilderment. Then comes the question, "So why do it?" The answer, " Because I love it and my first goal was to get published. Nothing more, nothing less." On one occasion I also found myself trying to justify why I do something that may either pay nothing, or very little.

     Yes, it would be great to earn a fortune doing  the thing that I love. And, I won't deny that it would be a dream come true to see my name on a best seller list, some day. However, I live in the real world not a fictional one. So, all I can do for now is keep writing, master my craft and keep setting myself goals for future publication. The way I look at it is, Rome wasn't built in a day! 

   

   

     

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about what others think; it's great you achieved your goal of publication! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete