Thursday 20 February 2014

Romantic Notions


Dunure Castle

    I find that when I visit some place new, especially if it has a historical past that my mind goes into overdrive. One such place was Dunure Castle in Ayrshire, sitting high above Ayr Bay, overlooking the Firth of Clyde. Just a short 5 mile drive from the town of Ayr on the west coast of Scotland, I found myself emerged into a world that Devil slaying fantasies are made of.


    The castle itself is now in ruins and has a play park next to it, but nevertheless I felt it could be easily the setting for a story of romance, tormented souls and murder. Bronte's, Heathcliff and Cathy or Shakespeare's, Romeo and Juliet would feel at home here.


    The backdrop of the Carrick Hills, the white horses riding high on the Firth of Clyde and thunderous sky cry out to be written about. The Kennedy Clan, called this place home and was there powerhouse in times gone by. Each large stone that remains in the building today must have a story to tell. However, as it refused to retell its secrets, I'll just keep the romantic notions it left me with, alive in my imagination to tell another day.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment