Monday 28 April 2014

A Penny for Them

   
Wall inside cottage of Robert Burns
    April the 30th 1952 is the day the UK first read the words of Anne Frank, when Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl became available in bookshops; seven years after her death at the age of fifteen in Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp.

    Anne's diary of her terrifying experiences whilst in hiding with her family from Hitler's army during World War ll, caught the world's attention because the atrocities recounted from her viewpoint could have been written by any one of the millions of children who lost their lives in the Holocaust.

    School motivated me as a child to keep a diary with an exercise called, My Daily Diary. My first private one which I kept tucked away in my top drawer, actually belonged to my father. Using a pre-owned one comes with its problems though, especially if it's from the previous year and there are already entries written on the pages.

    However, the pencil entries were easily erased and at the age of eight one date is as much as the next. Thankfully I didn't witness any horrific incidents to retell as many children do, I just wanted to get my thoughts down on the page.

    Even if a child isn't living in a war torn country; it's unlikely they will grow up without encountering something that they find distressing, difficult to comprehend, or maybe even cope with. Writing certainly has a cathartic effect, it can also help put things into prospective, if it needs to be that is. Importantly though, it can help a child tell a story that needs to be told and someone needs to listen to, as Anne Frank did.

No comments:

Post a Comment