Saturday 11 October 2014

From Little Acorns a Mighty Oak Grows

 

   I can remember when I was at school there were several subjects that I used to question the relevance of being taught in class. Not being a particularly outspoken kid, I never did let my views be known, therefore my disinterest caused me to switch off.

    One such subject was music and being tone deaf never endeared me to the singing side of things, or encouraged me to learn how to play a musical instrument. However, it was only once I had left school that the penny dropped that I finally realised music wasn't only about singing and playing in the school orchestra.

    There's much more to it, the thing that caught my attention was realising opera, classical and contemporary pieces, as well as pop all have a story to tell. The composer/song writer is using their creativity to tell that story, or maybe get a message across, in the same way an author does.

    BBC learning and BBC Performing Groups has launched a programme called '10 Pieces' which they hope will help primary school children appreciate what classical music has to offer them, encouraging them to express themselves creatively, through music, dance and digital art.

   I think this initiative is a great idea and anything that cultivates creativity amongst children can only benefit us all as a society.

No comments:

Post a Comment