Saturday 2 January 2016

A Bag Isn't just for Christmas

 


    I don't know what it's like where you live, but in Scotland in an effort to cut-down on waste we're charged for single-use carrier bags provided by retailers.

    The minimum five-pence charge was introduced in October 2014 in an effort to encourage the population to reuse bags, the funds are then redistributed to good causes throughout Scotland.

    There are a few exemptions, such as the one the butcher gives you with Sunday's roast in and the one the fishmonger packs the assortment of fish in that you plan to use for fish pie Tuesday night. I should say that there are other exemptions, but it starts to get rather complicated and my examples may have over-complicated matters already.

    Truly, I'm all for cutting down on waste and I carry bags with me at all times. Surveying the amount of gift wrapping that I had to place in the recycle bin following Christmas Day I had a real guilt trip.

    However, there is one thing I would like added to the exclusion list and that is clothing. That's because I'm getting kind of tired of having to wash new purchases. Wouldn't you agree that it's a real no-no, to put a new LBD in the same bag the leg of lamb was brought home in on Saturday?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment