Friday 18 March 2016

Mary's Guise

Mary Queen of Scots, National Museum Scotland.
     I've been lazing around amongst other things for the last week, trying to recharge my batteries before I move home. I have managed to publish posts because I prepare ahead, however today's post should have been published last week. I had wanted to celebrate International Women's Day on March 8th, but my schedule got a little jumbled, while I chillaxed.

    International Women's Day, recognises women, girl's achievements, bringing to the forefront, the struggles they have gone through in the past and are still going through for equal rights and equality in our world today.

Linlithgow Palace, Mary's birth-place.
      In the 16th-century Mary Stuart, was crowned Queen of Scotland, in Stirling Castle at the age of nine-months. A Queen and female that would have a life full of drama and struggles.

Stirling Castle
         This young, beautiful, heir to the throne, protested innocence while being branded an adulteress and conspirator. Was this a guise by Mary? Or, was her unwillingness to stay in France following the death of her husband, her religious beliefs and being a female the only crimes that contributed to her execution at the age of forty-five.

Glassin Tower, Loch Leven, Kinross. Mary was imprisoned here
    Some of the things I've just mentioned are still used today, to justify women being sentenced to beatings and death by execution. It's days such as International Women's Day, that women and women's charities continually drive for reform and worth celebrating every day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment