Tuesday 18 April 2017

A Name to Conjure With

Lock 16, Forth and Clyde Canal

  It was a cold spring morning, time to get my butt out of the chair, take a good long walk and take stock of some of the places that are in my area.


      I slipped my feet into my comfy shoes and walked approximately three miles before I reached the banks of the Forth and Clyde Canal. I've visited here over the years on many an occasion, but I hoped since it was such a lovely morning that I would see something more than the ducks and swans. 

Barge entering Lock 12

    While as you will know from my photos in previous blogposts, that I love birds, it is nice to see boats making their way through the lock gates and for once I was in luck. Used only for leisure cruises now, this part of the Forth and Clyde joined up with the Union Canal around 1820. It was a working canal for many years, but transporting both goods and people became easier and quicker by rail, or road. Therefore, the upkeep became costly, causing the waterways to fall into disrepair and in turn totally impractical.

The Canal Inn, built circa 1820

    There are a few public houses dotted along the tow paths of the canal, however one that is worth a mention is, The Canal Inn. Not because of its whisky or beer, but because of the name it is known locally. The Canal Inn, has always been known unofficially as the, War Office. As to why, there are many tales told. From it being where young men went to enlist in the army at the beginning of the, First World War, to a place where locals gathered to hear the news coming from the, Boer War.

    The name just adds to its charm and most certainly is a name to conjure with.

1 comment:

  1. A fun post. The swans would have made me happy, but glad you got to see the locks and boat.

    ReplyDelete