Monday 8 July 2013

Walking on Sunshine

   
Example of Gothic Architecture in Barcelona
    Summer well and truly arrived in Scotland yesterday with the temperature reaching around 28 degrees centigrade in some parts. Expecting that the weather was going to be good all day I had a slight dilemma on my hands. Should I stay indoors and watch Andy Murray in the Wimbledon final on TV, or finish reading Carlos Ruiz Zafon's novel, The Shadow of the Wind, whilst catching some rays outside? The thing was I wanted to do both.
   
    I knew that watching Murray would not be a particularly enjoyable experience as I would be peeping at the TV screen through splayed fingers, and sighing with exasperation for a couple of hours. Therefore, weighing up all the pros and cons of both of my choices, I decided for my sanity and blood pressure that I'd settle down on my deck chair with Zafon's novel.

     I had read reviews of Zafon's books, author interviews and even managed to put a question to him via a live webchat, but I'm ashamed to admit that I still hadn't read one of his books. However, following a chat with a Spanish friend, who raved about Zafon's novels, I purchased a copy of, The Shadow of the Wind a couple of days ago.

    Making the decision to read, rather than watch yesterday was something I did not regret, as the emotions this book filled me with were something I hadn't experienced in a long time. The words of passion, fear, love were easily absorbed and the atmosphere of, Barcelona's, Gothic style buildings, were captured without a doubt.

Zafon describes doors similar to this in the book


    But in the end Carlos Ruiz Zafon wasn't the only winner yesterday, Andy Murray also did what he set out to do and he made history at the same time. He is the first British male to win the single's title in 77 years and even if the sun doesn't shine in Scotland today, the Scots and the rest of Britain will be walking on sunshine with pride, following Andy's great achievement.  

A sunny beach in Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment