Thursday 4 July 2013

Whale of a Time



    Back on the 27th May I published a post titled 'Christopher Columbus's Last Pit Stop,' which featured the Island of La Gomera, part of a group of islands known as the Canary Islands, Spain. I had spent a long weekend there and I was overwhelmed by its natural beauty.


    Now it seems that the movie going public will also have the chance to experience its rugged allure in a new movie, which Hollywood Director, Ron Howard, is shooting on the island later this year.

 
    The movie is an adaptation of the 2000 US winner of the National Book Awards for nonfiction, In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick.
   
 
 
    The Essex was sunk in 1820 by a sperm whale and a record of the event, written by one of the surviving crew also inspired Herman Melville to write one of the well known classics, Moby-Dick.
   
   
    On my trip I saw a couple of pilot whales and dolphins, but thankfully no Captain Ahab, or Sperm Whales. But, I did have a whale of a time. Sorry about the cliche.
 
 
    I should add that the name of the excursion boat is coincidental, I have no vested interest in this vessel. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment