Monday 1 July 2013

Groundhog Day

   



    Thinking of a topic for my twice weekly blog isn't always easy and today was one such hair pulling occasion. I spent a couple of hours reading magazines, newspapers and blogs in a hope for a glimmer of inspiration, but to no avail. Therefore, I decided it was time to throw in the towel and go chillaxe.

    My eyes and brain were sore with reading, so I thought I would watch a few hours TV. Searching through the listing magazine, only one scheduled programme caught my eye, but it wasn't on until 9pm. Michael Buble, to be exact. (Screams with delight). However, that was 7 hours away, meaning I needed to find something else to view.

    Surfing through the movie channels wasn't proving too fruitful either. Then I saw 'Groundhog Day' was on, checking the clock I saw that it was just about to start. Mmm, (scratch head). Should I watch it again? It's a film I did enjoy.

    Maybe not; I've watched it so many times now, that I feel as though I'm having a Groundhog Day moment every time I see the opening sequence. If you've seen the movie you'll know that each day when the main character Phil Connors, played by Bill Murray wakes up at 6 a.m, he relives the same day over and over again.

    At first he sees it as a way he can manipulate events, for his own personal gain. But as the day in  question dawns repeatedly, he fears that his life will be continually put on hold. Eventually, by changing his whole approach to life, he reaps his reward and awakens one morning to find that time has finally moved on.

    There are similarities here that could be applied to anyone's life, but I want to focus on a writers at this point in time. As an individual who hopes to master our craft it's important that we're not scared to tweak our work here and there. Learning by our mistakes as we go along, just as Phil Connors did. Without editing, or listening to advice from others, we will never take our projects forward and succeed in our craft.

   

   

1 comment:

  1. Good point, Christina. Taking risks and stretching our skills are a necessary parts of growing as writers.

    ReplyDelete