Thursday 26 September 2013

Fantasy Island

     
Mount Teide (my first view of Tenerife by air)
    Folklore inspires me and so when I go on vacation I try to immerse myself in it. Not just in the material I read, but by searching for places of interest to visit.

Casa de la Aduana (Custom House) in Puerto De La Cruz. Circa 17th century

    I've just returned from Tenerife, in the Canary Islands, Spain; a place which is a regular haunt of mine and many writers of all genres. Whatever makes you tick as a writer, or artist you'll find here. Fiction and non-fiction writers alike, will be inspired by its awesome landscape, botanical wonders, buildings of historical and religious importance. After all this is the island where Horatio Nelson lost his right arm.

Castillo San Felipe, Puerto De La Cruz
    Away from my normal base on the south of the island, I spent a few days this time round in Puerto De La Cruz, a ciudad in the Orotova Valley. Although it's a very popular tourist resort, it's jam packed with sites to visit and sights to see, all with a magnificent story to tell.

Nuestra Senora de la Pena de Francia Church, Puerto De La Cruz
    This city, located on the north of the island has played host to authors for centuries. Oscar Wilde's father and renowned writer in his own right, William Wilde spent time here in the early 19th century. As did Prussian writer, explorer, geographer and Foreign Honary Member of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences, Alexander Von Humboldt.

    The journey both men made here would be very different from mine, but they were inspired just as I am with this fantasy island.

   
Leaving Tenerife and Mount Teide behind


   

No comments:

Post a Comment