Friday 14 March 2014

Going All Goose Bumps

   
Ben Ledi
     Where the highlands of Scotland meet the lowlands, lies a small town called Callander. It's a town which for me holds fond memories, as my grandmother used to take me here during school holidays.

Riverside Teith
    It's a place I love to visit when the air has a crisp, coldness about it and the sky is azure blue. So, this week when I made the short trip there, I certainly wasn't disappointed. Sitting on the edge of the River Teith,  the Callander Crags (woodland) and Ben Ledi dominate the town's sky line.

Ben Ledi peeking through the woodland
    The thousands of tourists who stop here each year on their way to the Loch Lomond and Trossach's National Park, I'm sure will be captivated by the wonderful scenery.

Callander High Street
    The TV series Doctor Findlay's Casebook, an adaptation of of A. J. Cronin's novella, Country Doctor, was filmed here and was the perfect stand in for the author's fictional town of Tannochbrae. Its quaint tea shops, sweet shops, churches, country stores and book shop have made time stand still.
 
River Teith, Crags and Ben Ledi
    History and legend are the town's middle names and it's easy to imagine Rob Roy MacGregor, the famous Scottish hero of the 18th century roaming this area, as folklore tells us he did.

 
    Hopefully some of the photographs I've included in today's blog will make you want to call here some day and then you too can experience the goose bumps I do, every time I visit.

    Grey Heron on the banks of the Teith, watching, waiting 

   

   

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment