Saturday 5 July 2014

Salutations

River Tay, Perth
    Sitting on the west banks of the River Tay, the longest river in Scotland, is the ' Fair City' of Perth. So known after, the publication of Sir Walter Scott's novel, 'The Fair Maid of Perth', in 1828.    

    This week I made the 45 mile trip north, to have a look around. I was employed in the city's Scott Street for around a year and I was eager to see what had changed in the thirteen years since leaving my employment.

Salutation Hotel

    After parking the car, I decided to go for lunch and walking by the Salutation Hotel, I couldn't help but smile when I looked at the two ornamental pipers standing guard over the entrance. It's unlikely that they've been there since the hotel first welcomed its guests back in 1699, however they did look a little tired.

    Following lunch I made my way to the AK Bell Library in York Place, it's just the place to settle down with a good book such as Scott's, or familiarise yourself with the city's fascinating history.

AK Bell Library
    Trading with France in medieval times, in items such as fine silk, linen, leather, wine and whisky made the city affluent. Albeit that this business has long ceased, the impressive buildings that can be seen all over the city demonstrate its rich past.

Perth City Halls
    It has also played a significant part in the history of Scotland, as a Royal Burgh it has hosted the coronations of the Kings and Queens of Scotland; the ceremonies taking place at nearby Scone Palace.

    Although, for one King, James 1 of Scotland, his visit was not welcoming and whilst lodging in Perth's Blackfriars Monastery in 1437 he was unfortunately assassinated.

St John's Kirk
    By the end of the day my feet were weary, but I didn't mind because I had a lovely visit and I hope not to leave it so long before I return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment