Sunday 9 August 2015

New Horizons

 


    Aspiring and newbie authors alike read every piece of advice they can, I know I did and still do. However, I think it's a real mine field. There are many articles, forums, blogs and books telling us the do's and don'ts of writing and ultimately publication. I was totally confused as much of it is conflicting.

    So, who's guidance do we follow? Should we take on the recommendations of trusty individuals whose opinion is that a writer must be true to themselves. Or should we chase stardom, notoriety and have the views of others manipulate us into trying to write something that's on trend? 

    I initially seriously thought about ditching my male protagonist because a female is more popular in YA but I chose to be true to myself and stayed with my male. I had my story, I had my voice, therefore I took a risk and followed my heart. My second book will be published soon by Featherweight Publishing, that means the risk was worth taking.

    This quote from Pulitzer Prize winner, William Faulkner, for me says everything about being a writer, "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore."

    Happy writing.

    

    

  #writing  

No comments:

Post a Comment