Sunday 30 July 2017

Moonrise

       
     The classic poem I'm featuring today is by English poet, Gerard Manley Hopkins. Classed as being one of the greatest poets during Victorian times, unfortunately his work was not not recognised until after his death. His work has a  certain darkness about it, something that appeals to me. Being a  religious man, God also heavily featured in many of his poems. Other titles include, The Philosopher's Stone and I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day.


Moonrise  

I awoke in the Midsummer not to call night, in the white and the walk of the morning
The moon, dwindled and thinned to the fringe of a finger-nail held to the candle
Or paring of paradisaical fruit, lovely in waning but lustreless
Stepped from the stool, drew back from the barrow, of dark Maenefa the mountain

A cusp still clasped him, a fluke yet fanged him, entangled him, not quite utterly.
This was the prized, the desirable sight, unsought, presented so easily
Parted me leaf and leaf, divided me, eyelid and eyelid of slumber 


Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889)

No comments:

Post a Comment