Monday 20 January 2014

It's Official

   


    There are times when I read the findings of surveys, I wonder what real conclusions the research reached. However, I read two the other day with interest and although I wasn't particularly surprised by the outcome, I think some people might be.

    Firstly, I looked at the recently published results of a survey that Digital Book World and the Writers Digest did towards the end of last year. Approximately 9200 authors contributed to the questionnaire, including authors awaiting to be published, self and traditionally published, as well as hybrid authors. Amongst the questions put to the participants, was one that asked about their actual earning's. The end result concluded that a majority of authors earn less than $1000, (£600) per year.

    The second one I read was compiled by the actors union, Equity (UK). They put the same question to their members and it found that half of their membership earned less than £5000, ($8300) annually. Often working for not just low pay, but no pay at all.   Now whilst it seems that actors are a little better paid than us authors, I think we can hardly call them rich.

    In this instance I believe this research makes it official, a majority of us with creative tendencies definitely aren't motivated by money.

   

   

1 comment:

  1. Good point, Christina. While most of us wouldn't turn down money for creating our art, it's not the main motivation.

    ReplyDelete