Sunday 16 November 2014

Unleash the Book Within



    Looking through some old photographs I retrieved from the attic the other day, the words, "we've all got a book in us," popped into my head. I don't know how often I've heard, or read these words and I'm not even sure if they were used as words of encouragement.

    However, I'm going to use them as encouragement to all budding writers, because we all have ideas floating around in our heads and I want to tell you that putting pen to paper isn't the hard part. It's about having the confidence to start, form the plot, the characters, choosing location and era. It's important to develop the skills to create something we can be proud of and is an ongoing process.

    This for me is where the old photographs come in handy. Each of the pictures have a story to tell, even if I wasn't there, or wasn't the photographer. The people, the places, the buildings I use as prompts to write 50 word,  fictional pieces. Exercise my mind.

    Yes, I know we don't all have old photo albums, but there will be an aunt, grandmother, or neighbour who isn't into the digital age and is eager to share what's hidden away in a drawer. Not knowing the stories behind the people or, places adds to potential creativity.


    Go on see if you can unleash that book you have inside you. (I would also like to add that I wasn't around when these photographs were taken.)

   
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. I don't know these people, but they sure inspire some stories in my head!

    ReplyDelete