Monday 12 March 2018

I Made Another Garden

   
    I love walking around gardens, when they are in full bloom, when the flowers start to fade away and die I feel kind of sad. Whether, public, or private if I've got my camera to hand I'll take photographs. For my classic poetry spot today I searched for something appropriate and this poem/song by British writer Arthur O'Shaughnessy somehow fitted the bill. 

    O'Shaugnessy's work included "We are the Music makers" featured in the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Words spoken by the late and great, Gene Wilder.

   


I Made Another Garden


I made another garden, yea
For my new love
I left the dead rose where it lay
And set the new above
Why did the summer not begin?
Why did my heart not haste?
My old love came and walked therein
And laid the garden waste

She entered with her weary smile
Just as of old
She looked around a little while
And shivered at the cold
Her passing touch was death to all
Her passing look a blight
She made the white rose-petals fall
And turned the red rose white

Her pale robe, clinging to the grass
Seemed like a snake
 That bit the grass and ground, alas!
And a sad trail did make
She went up slowly to the gate
And there, just as of yore
She turned back at the last to wait
And say farewell once more 


Arthur William Edgar O'Shaugnessy
14 March 1844 - 30 January 1881

No comments:

Post a Comment