Monday 29 October 2012

Are Sweet Dreams Made of This?

    As someone who has a vivid and sometimes wild imagination, whilst I'm awake; it should be of no surprise to me that I also have realistic dreams. It certainly isn't a shock to my partner, or close family, when I recount my slightly bizarre, sleep induced visions. Often, eagerly trying to make some sense of it all.

    Some of these dreams I have written down immediately on getting up out of bed. My plan being that I might base a story round them, but so far, I haven't actually done so.

    Therefore when the words aren't quite flowing as freely as they should, I wonder if it would be worthwhile investing the time to keep a diary of my dreams. After all Stephanie Meyers said that her novel, Twilight, evolved from a dream and there's no need for me to recount her story.

    So on listening to a rendition of, the 1983 hit song, originally sung by Eurhythmics, Sweet Dreams (are Made of This); it struck me that it was something that I really should try. Because maybe my sweet dreams of having a bestseller one day, are made of this!

    Is this something you do? Is it something you've thought about doing? Please share your thoughts, on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina,

    I haven't based any of my stories on dreams. but I know others who have. (And there are examples like Twilight out there.) So I say go for it! If it doesn't work out, at least it gave you an interesting writing exercise. :-)

    P.S. I love the Eurythmics and Annie Lennox--great example of a strong woman in rock and roll! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a weird and wonderful one, other night so have written it all down. Probably would make a good thriller plot. Maybe if I decide to change genre at some stage will look at it again. Agree about Annie Lennox.

    ReplyDelete