Monday 12 September 2016

Splendiferous Words



    Every three months the respected, Oxford English Dictionary, updates its entries. According to their website, for September they have added 500 new words, phrases and senses.

    It never ceases to amaze me that there are many words that I use regularly, or hear on a daily basis that up until now weren't officially recognised words.

    There are four in particular on the list that caught my eye right away and thankfully I do use them in the correct context. They are card reader, casa, grandwean and witching hour. I think for anyone who isn't Scottish, grandwean meaning grandchild may be a word that will seem a little alien, however I think the others are easily worked out.
   
    If you want to drop by the OED website    http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/september-2016-update/new-words-list-september-2016/ is the link.

    You never know you may find a new word that you can use in your new book, or even help you complete that difficult crossword puzzle.

    Have a splendiferous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment